Boy, what a week it's been. I've been mentally stretched to my limit and the heat has not helped my attitude. Luckily my A/C was repaired today, so I'm back to baking - my personal therapy - and I can already feel things looking up.
Today's #communitycookbookrecipe comes from my Grandma's old book from 1988 - The Yorgason Family Cookbook and the recipe is for Monster Cookies submitted by Arlene Shulta.
I am from a big family. If you have any doubt just look at the ingredients in this recipe. Have you ever seen a cookie recipe that uses a full dozen eggs?!
Well, for those of you who don't need 72 gigantic cookies in your life, I've adapted this recipe to create just a single dozen Monster Cookies. With the week I've had an oversized chocolate filled cookie is just what the doctor ordered.
- ¾ Cup Nut Butter I used Cashew Butter, use your favorite
- ⅓ Cup Butter Flavor Coconut Oil
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3 Cup Gluten Free Oatmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Dairy Free Candy Coated Chocolate
- ½ Cup Raisins optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine nut butter, coconut oil, white and brown sugars. Beat on medium speed 2-3 minutes until well combined. Scrape down bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beat for about 60 seconds between each addition. Turn the mixer to lowest setting. Add the baking soda and oats and mix until just combined. Remove the bowl from the stand and fold in the chocolate chips, chocolate candies and raisins with a spatula.
- Make ½ C scoops of batter and place on cookie sheet. You will need to place them at least 3 inches apart. I was only able to fit 4-5 cookies on one sheet. The batter will be a little oozy, but smush it a little to get them started flattening out. They should still be very thick.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and set. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Carefully remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 12 giant cookies.