This apple and banana smoothie is the perfect treat for early fall, when some of the days are still warm. It uses only a handful of ingredients, that you probably already have in your cabinet. Smoothies are so popular because they are a delicious filling breakfast that is quick to prepare. Plus, you get lots of nutrients from the fruit, yogurt and oats in this recipe. This smoothie has all the flavors you love from apple pie, but it's naturally sweetened and doesn't require any baking.
You'll love this recipe because it's easy to throw together and can be enjoyed year round. The apple flavor is a real winner and unusual to find in a smoothie.
What are the nutritional benefits of apples and bananas?
Both apples and bananas are nutritious and delicious fruits that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, including as part of a healthy smoothie. These fruits are high in fiber, potassium and vitamin C. They promote healthy digestion, lower inflammation and improve immune system response.
This recipe uses just 6 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- Frozen Bananas - Having the bananas frozen ahead of time helps make the prep a breeze and the bananas keep the smoothie cold and creamy.
- Apples - use your favorite variety.
- Gluten Free Oats - For gluten free, ensure you've purchased certified gluten free oats. This is an ingredient which is prone to contamination during growing and processing. If you're not gluten free, feel free to use regular old-fashioned oats here.
- Yogurt - I use dairy free yogurt here. If you're not dairy free, then use any type of yogurt you like.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg
See recipe card for quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Not gluten free - use regular oats in place of gluten free oats in the same measure.
- Not Dairy Free - use regular greek yogurt in place of dairy free yogurt in the same measure.
- If you don't like apple skins, feel free to peel them before blending.
- For a little extra sweetness, add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Add your favorite protein powder or some nut butter for extra protein.
This breakfast treat could not be easier to make. It only takes 5 minutes to prepare!
STEP 1: Chop the apples into chunks.
STEP 2: Add the apples and frozen bananas to your blender.
STEP 3: Add the oats, yogurt and spices.
STEP 4: Blend until smooth and serve.
You will need a high speed blender for this recipe. I have the Nutribullet model, which isn't as expensive as some but has really great power and lots of accessories for different uses.
Yes, the sweetness of the banana perfectly compliments the tartness of the apple.
Yes, the combination of fruit, yogurt and oats will not only keep you feeling full for hours but it is packed with vitamins and fiber. Plus this smoothie is sweetened only with fruit and no added sugar.
You can store leftover smoothie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. But it is best if you drink it the same day.
More breakfast ideas:
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Apple and Banana Smoothie
- 1 High Speed Blender
- 2 Bananas sliced and frozen
- 2 Apples
- ½ Cup Gluten Free Oats
- ½ Cup Dairy Free Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- pinch Nutmeg
- Optional, peel the apples.
- Slice the apples into chunks.
- Place the apple chunks and the frozen banana slices into the blender.2 Bananas, 2 Apples
- Add the oats, yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg to the blender.½ Cup Gluten Free Oats, ½ Cup Dairy Free Yogurt, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, pinch Nutmeg
- Place the lid on top of the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.