This apple and banana smoothie is the perfect treat for early fall, when some of the days are still warm. It uses only a handful of ingredients, that you probably already have in your cabinet. This smoothie has all the flavors you love from apple pie, but it's naturally sweetened and doesn't require any baking.
You'll love this recipe because it's easy to throw together and can be enjoyed year round. The apple flavor is a real winner and unusual to find in a smoothie.
This recipe uses just 6 simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
- Frozen Bananas - Having the bananas frozen ahead of time helps make the prep a breeze and the bananas keep the smoothie cold and creamy.
- Apples - use your favorite variety.
- Gluten Free Oats - For gluten free, ensure you've purchased certified gluten free oats. This is an ingredient which is prone to contamination during growing and processing. If you're not gluten free, feel free to use regular old-fashioned oats here.
- Yogurt - I use dairy free yogurt here. If you're not dairy free, then use any type of yogurt you like.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg
See recipe card for quantities.
Chop the apples into chunks.
Add the apples and frozen bananas to your blender.
Add the oats, yogurt and spices.
Blend until smooth and serve.
Substitutions & Variations
Change the recipe to suit your own preferences:
- If you're not gluten free, use regular oats in place of gluten free oats in the same measure.
- If you're not dairy free, use regular greek yogurt in place of dairy free yogurt in the same measure.
If you don't like apple skins, feel free to peel them before blending.
- For a little extra sweetness, add 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Add your favorite protein powder or some nut butter for extra protein.
You will need a high speed blender for this recipe. I have the Nutribullet model, which isn't as expensive as some but has really great power and lots of accessories for different uses.
You can store leftover smoothie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. But it is best if you drink it the same day.
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating to let me know how you like it!
Apple and Banana Smoothie
- 1 High Speed Blender
- 2 Bananas sliced and frozen
- 2 Apples
- ½ Cup Gluten Free Oats
- ½ Cup Dairy Free Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- pinch Nutmeg
- Optional, peel the apples.
- Slice the apples into chunks.
- Place the apple chunks and the frozen banana slices into the blender.2 Bananas, 2 Apples
- Add the oats, yogurt, cinnamon and nutmeg to the blender.½ Cup Gluten Free Oats, ½ Cup Dairy Free Yogurt, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, pinch Nutmeg
- Place the lid on top of the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and serve.