For the brownie base-
- ½ C Dark Chocolate Chips
- 3 oz Semi-Sweet Baker's Chocolate chopped
- ½ C Coconut Oil room temperature
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- ⅔ C GF All Purpose Flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
For the pistachio marzipan filling-
- 1 ½ C Pistachios raw & unsalted
- 1 ½ C Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Egg Whites
For the topping-
- 1 C Dark Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- ½ C Pistachios roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x9 square pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine dark chocolate and baker's chocolate. Microwave on 50% power for about 2 minutes. Stir, if there are still a lot of solid pieces, microwave for another minute. Stir until smooth. Add in the coconut oil and stir until it is all melted and combined with the chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Stir well. Set aside.
- Pour melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 1 egg. Mix on lowest setting until egg is incorporated. Add 2 additional eggs, one at a time, mixing between each egg.
- Pour in dry ingredients and mix on low until incorporated.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan.
- When the brownies are about half cooked, prepare the pistachio filling
- In a food processor, chop 1 ½C pistachios until they are a fine powder.
- Add powdered sugar and process for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add almond and vanilla extract and a small portion of the egg whites. Process the pistachio mixture and the egg whites will begin to liquify the powder.
- Add remaining egg whites, while processing. The mixture will be runnier than traditional marzipan because we want to be able to spread it on top of the brownies.
- After the brownies have cooled for 10 minutes. Scoop the marzipan mixture on top, in dollops - so there is good coverage. Using an offset spatula, carefully spread the marzipan around so all of the brownie is evenly covered.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to cool. Prepare the chocolate topping.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips on 50% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add the coconut oil and stir until smooth.
- Pour over the marzipan layer and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Use paper to lift brownies from pan. Cut and serve.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 328mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @wellfedbaker or tag #wellfedbaker!
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.
Yummm, pistachio marzipan! I think these sound delicious and I'd like to try out the recipe someday. Plus they're pretty gorgeous...
AVL Foodie says
Thanks! You should definitely take the time to make them. They are worth it!