My sweet niece loves those Ferrero Rocher candies. I buy them for her every year for Christmas. So when she asked me to bake her some cookies, I thought it would be the perfect excuse to come up with a Ferrero Rocher inspired cookie that is both gluten free and dairy free. These cookies are made with a combination of hazelnut flour and gluten free flour, plus chopped hazelnuts, chocolate chips and are stuffed with delicious dairy free chocolate hazelnut spread (just like Nutella without the milk).
What is dairy free chocolate hazelnut spread?
When I gave up eating dairy, I thought I would never taste the deliciousness that is known as Nutella again. I know you can make a homemade version, but there is something about the perfectly smooth chocolate-y consistency of store bought Nutella that was just better somehow.
That was until I saw this Nocciolata dairy free spread one day while shopping at Whole Foods. I bought it, not quite sure what to expect. But it turns out it is amazing. It has everything I used to love about Nutella, minus the dairy. It’s also organic and doesn’t contain palm oil, which is great. I’ll be a lifelong customer for sure!
How do you make hazelnut chocolate stuffed cookies?
Start by mixing the dough according to the directions. Let the dough chill for about one hour. Then scoop golf ball sized balls of dough and place them on your baking sheet. Flatten them slightly, then make an indentation with your finger. Place about one teaspoon of hazelnut spread in the indentation. Scoop another golf ball sized ball of cookie dough and flatten it slightly in your hand. Place it on top of the other dough & hazelnut spread. Gently seal the edges.
How do you store leftover cookies?
What are leftover cookies?? Just kidding. 🙂
Store these cookies in an airtight container. They should stay fresh for 3-4 days. They are very sturdy cookies and also do well with shipping.
If you love cookies, check out these other great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Gluten Free Stuffed Hazelnut Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Pin Rate
- 1 ¼ C Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend I use Bob's Red Mill
- ½ C Hazelnut Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk Powder optional
- ½ C Vegan Butter room temperature (I use Miyokos or Country Crock Plant Butter)
- ¾ C Sugar
- ¼ C Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg + 1 Egg Yolk room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¾ C Hazelnuts
- 2 C Mini Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ C Dairy Free Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place hazelnuts on the baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put warm hazelnuts into a dish towel. Rub the towel around to remove the skins.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten free flour blend, hazelnut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and milk powder. Whisk together until well combined. Set aside.
- Add butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed about 2 minutes until smooth. Scrape down bowl.
- Add the white and brown sugar to the butter. Beat 2-3 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the vanilla.
- Add egg and yolk and beat about 60 seconds until combined.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting. Slowly add the flour mixture stirring until just combined.
- Remove bowl from stand. Add the chopped hazelnuts and the mini chocolate chips. Fold them in by hand until they are evenly incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour minimum.
- After the chill, assemble the cookies as follows: 1. scoop a golf ball size amount of dough and place on cookie sheet leaving 2-3 inches between balls. 2. slightly flatten the dough ball, so it is a disc. Make an indentation in the center with your finger. 3. Add 1 teaspoon of hazelnut spread in the indentation. 4. scoop another gold ball size amount of dough. 5. flatten the second dough ball slightly in your hand and place over the top of the filled cookie.
- Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack to cool completely.