I cannot tell you how many years it has been since I have bought one of those store packets of taco seasoning. I always found them to be a little too salty and way more seasoning in one packet than I needed for a meal. Once you try this easy homemade taco seasoning recipe, you'll be a convert too! It's the perfect pairing for chicken, beef or turkey for an easy weeknight Mexican meal.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It is great on ground beef, chicken, or turkey.
- It's gluten free and vegan.
- It's Whole 30 compliant.
- It is lower in sodium than store bought packets.
Taco seasoning is just made of a combination of herbs and spices. As long as you use gluten free spices, then your mix will be gluten free.
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
See recipe card for quantities.
Once you've measured everything out, simply mix it together and transfer it to an airtight container for storage. To make things easier, I usually add my spices directly to my storage jar and then just close and shake it to combine.
How to Cook with Homemade Taco Seasoning
Store bought taco seasoning packets contain about 3 tablespoons of seasoning and are meant to be used with 1 pound of meat. This recipe will make the equivalent of 2 packets of taco seasoning, but can easily be multiplied to make a bulk batch.
To use the taco seasoning, cook your meat then add up to 3 tablespoons of seasoning along with ⅔ cup of water. Stir together and cook over medium low heat until the water has cooked away leaving a saucy taco meat.
I typically only use around 1-2 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat. The great thing about having a jar of bulk seasoning is you can use it however you like!
This homemade seasoning blend is already suitable for both gluten free and vegan diets. Here are some other variations:
- Mild - If you like your tacos on the mild side, omit the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper from the blend.
- Low Sodium - This recipe is already lower in sodium than the store bought packets, but if you are following a low sodium diet feel free to further reduce that, omit the salt, or use a salt replacement.
- Low Fodmap - You can omit the onion powder and garlic powder in the seasoning.
Store the mixed taco seasoning in an airtight container in a cabinet or drawer away from heat or direct sunlight, as you would any other spices.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients together. Mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark location.2 Tablespoons Chili Powder, 1 Tablespoon Cumin, 2 teaspoons Black Pepper, 1 teaspoon Salt, 1 teaspoon Paprika, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, ½ teaspoon Onion Powder, ½ teaspoon Oregano, ¼ teaspoon Cayenne, ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.
Leave a Comment