Originally posted May 23, 2018. Updated March 2, 2022.
Homemade banana chocolate chip granola is one of the easiest treats you can make. It's a great project to do with kids and you can easily customize this recipe to suit your like and needs. I call this granola chunky monkey, because of all the mix-ins. It tastes like banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts - YUM!
Why You'll Love This Chunky Monkey Granola
- It's gluten free and vegan.
- It can be customized to your liking. You can leave out the chocolate, nuts and coconut and still have a delicious granola that tastes like banana bread.
- It's so easy to make that a kid could do it!
- Gluten Free Oats - I use Bob's Red Mill brand but any brand will work, just make sure they're certified gluten free.
- Flax Meal - This is optional, but it adds fiber, protein and healthy fats to the granola.
- Gluten Free Puffed Rice Cereal - I use gluten free brown rice puffed cereal from Whole Foods. Avoid original Rice Krispies as they contain malt and are not gluten free.
- Bananas - Make sure to use 2 very ripe bananas for extra sweetness and a strong banana flavor.
- Light Brown Sugar - The sugar is what helps the granola clump together after it's baked. I don't suggest omitting it, but you can replace with coconut sugar if you'd like.
- Vegan Butter - I use Miyokos Plant Butter or Country Crock Plant Butter in all of my recipes. You can also use melted Coconut Oil in this recipe in the same measure.
- Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
- Walnuts - Any nuts will do here (pecans, pistachios, cashews, almonds or even peanuts). Or omit the nuts entirely if you don't eat them.
- Shredded Coconut - Just adds a little extra sweetness to the granola.
- Allergen Free Chocolate Chips - I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips.
- Sea Salt - I give a little sprinkle of sea salt after the granola is done baking. I personally love a little sweet and savory together, you can omit if you like.
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Granola
- Step 1: Combine oats, flax meal, rice cereal, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir together.
- Step 2: Add mashed bananas, melted butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir until the dry ingredients are coated.
- Step 3: Spread granola onto a lined baking sheet.
- Step 4: Bake, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Step 5: Add nuts and coconut and bake for 10 minutes more.
- Step 6: Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and sea salt. Let cool before moving into a container for storage.
What to Serve With
This granola is great eaten by the handful. But you can also serve it with dairy free yogurt, sprinkled over your favorite ice cream, or along side fruit.
How to Store Homemade Granola
This granola should be stored in an airtight container, I usually use a glass jar. It will keep at room temperature but will last much longer if you store it in the refrigerator. It will be good for at least 3 months if kept refrigerated.
If you have more ripe bananas to use, check out these great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Granola
- 2 ½ Cup Gluten Free Oats
- 2 Tablespoon Flax Meal
- ¼ Cup Gluten Free Puffed Rice Cereal
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Bananas ripe & mashed
- 2 Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Vegan Butter melted
- ¼ Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Cup Walnuts roughly chopped
- ½ Cup Sweetened Coconut
- ½ Cup Allergen Free Chocolate Chips
- pinch Sea Salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 300F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flax meal, rice cereal, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir together until evenly mixed.
- Add the mashed bananas, melted butter, maple syrup and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Fold together with a spatula until the dry oats are completely coated with the wet mixture.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes. The outside edges will cook quicker than the middle, so you want to flip the granola every 15 minutes.
- At the end of 45 minutes, remove the granola from the oven and sprinkle the walnuts and coconut on top. Gently stir together and return to oven to bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked granola from the oven and sprinkle with the chocolate chips. DO NOT STIR. Let sit on a cooling rack until granola is completely cooled and chocolate chips are no longer soft.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.