This easy to make pie tastes just like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Amazing frozen mint filling in an oreo cookie pie crust. It's very similar to a grasshopper pie, in flavor, but it's made without alcohol and without marshmallows. I have added notes below about adding alcohol if you wish.
This pie is delicious and suitable for the whole family to enjoy! So refreshing in the warmer months. Plus no turning the oven on during hot days.
Why You'll Love This No Bake Mint Pie
- It's creamy and refreshing without using dairy.
- It's suitable for a vegan diet.
- Perfect treat for a warm day!
- Easily made gluten free with gluten-free Oreos.
- It doesn't have alcohol, although I've included a note to add it if you want.
- No baking required!
Ingredients In This Pie
Cream Cheese - I use Miyoko's brand vegan cream cheese, but you can use your favorite brand. If you're not dairy free, feel free to use regular cream cheese in the same measure.
Coconut Cream - This is the full fat type in the can. If you want to have an alcoholic pie, like the traditional grasshopper pie, substitute ¼ cup of creme de menthe liqueur in place of the coconut cream and mint extract.
Powdered Sugar - If you're looking for a vegan pie, ensure you're using vegan friendly powdered sugar.
Peppermint Extract, Vanilla & Green Gel Food Coloring
Dairy- Free Whipped Cream - My favorite brand is Coco-whip and in this recipe there is no noticeable coconut flavor. If you're not dairy free, use regular Cool Whip.
For the crust:
Oreos - Use any brand of chocolate cream cookie you like. I used Gluten Free Glutino cookies for this recipe.
Vegan Butter - This helps hold the crust together. If you're not vegan or dairy free, substitute regular butter.
How to Make a Gluten Free Oreo Cookie Pie Crust
- Step 1 - Place chocolate cookies (with the cream) in a food processor. Process until they are fine crumbs, about 1 minutes. Alternatively, if you don't have a food processor, you can place them in a large ziploc bag and smash them with a rolling pin.
- Step 2 - Add the melted butter to the cookie crumbs and stir until it is evenly moistened.
- Step 3 - Press the cookie crumbs into a pie plate using a measuring cup or the bottom of a glass to press them into an even layer.
- Step 4 - Freeze the pie crust for at least 30 minutes before filling.
How to Make a Frozen Mint Pie
This pie is so quick and easy to make and requires no baking.
- Step 1: Combine vegan cream cheese and coconut cream in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Step 2: Add the powdered sugar, food coloring, mint extract and vanilla. Beat for five minutes.
- Step 3: Fold in the whipped cream with a spatula until the color is uniform.
- Step 4: Spread in the prepared pie crust and freeze overnight.
That's it! This pie takes less than 10 minutes to make from start to finish and the hardest part is waiting for it to chill. Seriously, I have no patience, but the wait is definitely worth it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make This Into a Mint Chocolate Chip Pie?
This pie already tastes just like mint chocolate chip ice cream. But if you want to add extra chocolate chips, it will be awesome! I’d suggest using the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life.
How Is This Different From Grasshopper Pie?
Grasshopper pie is comprised of liquer (Creme de Menthe) combined with heavy cream and melted marshmallows. It’s not exactly friendly to dairy free people, vegans or children. This pie has all the flavor with none of the offending ingredients.
If you want to make an alcoholic version, simply omit the coconut cream and mint extract and replace with an equal amount of Creme de Menthe. It is both gluten free and dairy free. Because the pie is no bake, it will still have alcohol present, so may not be suitable for children.
How Do You Crush Oreos Without a Food Processor?
Place your Oreo cookies, cream included, in a gallon size ziploc bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal the bag. Then use a wooden rolling pin or similar item to smash the Oreos.
Are Oreos Gluten Free?
Traditional Oreos are not gluten free. Oreo brand does make a gluten free version of the product which is widely available.
For gluten free cookies, you can also use Glutino Brand, Goody Girl Chocolate Cream Cookies or Trader Joes Gluten Free Joe Joes. They all taste just like original Oreos and will work fine for this crust.
Are Oreo Cookies Vegan?
Yes, they contain no animal products or dairy.
If you're looking for more mint desserts, check out these great recipes!
Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Cookies
Gluten Free, Vegan Thin Mint Cookies
Gluten Free Dairy Free Peppermint Bark Cookies
Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
No Bake Grasshopper Chocolate Mint Icebox Pie
For the Oreo Pie Crust
- 21 Oreo Cookies regular or gluten free
- 3 Tablespoon Vegan Butter melted, substitute with regular butter
For the Mint Pie Filling
- 4 ounces Vegan Cream Cheese I used Miyokos Brand, substitute with block cream cheese
- ¼ Cup Coconut Cream from a can, substitute with heavy cream
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar sifted
- ¾ teaspoon Mint Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 drops Green Gel Food Coloring
- 9 ounces Coconut Whipped Cream substitute with cool whip
For the Oreo Pie Crust
- Process the oreo cookies (cream included) in a food processor for about 1 minute until they resemble coarse sand.
- Pour cookie crumbs into a large bowl and add the melted butter.
- Stir together until all the crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Spread the cookie crumb mixture into a standard pie dish. Use the flat bottom of a measuring cup to press the mixture down into an even layer.
- Place in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
For the Mint Pie Filling
- Add the vegan cream cheese and coconut cream to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, mint & vanilla extract and green food coloring to the cream cheese. Beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated, then turn the mixer to high speed and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
- Remove the bowl from your mixer and add the whipped cream. Gently fold it in with a spatula until the color is even.
- Pour the pie filling into your prepared pie crust and freeze overnight.
- Once pie is completely frozen, top with additional whipped cream, chocolate curls, or crushed oreo cookies.
- Let pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- See substitutions above to make this recipe with dairy products if you're not dairy free.
- To make this pie alcoholic, omit the coconut cream and mint extract from the filling. Replace the coconut cream with ¼ cup of Creme de Menthe liquer.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.
Leave a Comment