This easy to make mint pie tastes just like mint chocolate chip ice cream. Amazing frozen mint filling in a gluten free Oreo pie crust. It's very similar to a grasshopper pie, in flavor, but it's made without alcohol and without marshmallows. I have added notes below about adding alcohol if you wish.
This pie is delicious and suitable for the whole family to enjoy! So refreshing in the warmer months. Plus no turning the oven on during hot days.
If you love this recipe, you might want to also give my no bake chocolate ganache tart a try. It uses the same easy Oreo crust and is filled with cherry jam and a decadent dark chocolate ganache.
Why You'll Love This No Bake Mint Pie
- It's creamy and refreshing without using dairy.
- It's suitable for a vegan diet.
- Perfect treat for a warm day!
- Easily made gluten free with gluten-free Oreos.
- It doesn't have alcohol, although I've included a note to add it if you want.
- No baking required!
- Cream Cheese - I use Miyoko's brand vegan cream cheese, but you can use your favorite brand. If you're not dairy free, feel free to use regular cream cheese in the same measure.
- Coconut Cream - This is the full fat type in the can. If you want to have an alcoholic pie, like the traditional grasshopper pie, substitute ¼ cup of creme de menthe liqueur in place of the coconut cream and mint extract.
- Powdered Sugar - If you're looking for a vegan pie, ensure you're using vegan friendly powdered sugar.
- Peppermint Extract, Vanilla & Green Gel Food Coloring
- Dairy- Free Whipped Cream - My favorite brand is Coco-whip and in this recipe there is no noticeable coconut flavor. If you're not dairy free, use regular Cool Whip.
- For the crust:
- Oreos - Use any brand of chocolate cream cookie you like. I used Gluten Free Glutino cookies for this recipe.
- Vegan Butter - This helps hold the crust together. If you're not vegan or dairy free, substitute regular butter.
Substitutions & Variations
- Not Dairy Free - use dairy cream cheese, whipped cream and butter in the same measure.
- Make it with alcohol - omit the coconut cream and peppermint extract. Replace with ¼ cup creme de menthe liquer.
- Not Gluten Free - Use regular Oreo cookies for the crust.
How to make a mint pie
This pie is so quick and easy to make and requires no baking.
STEP 1: Combine the vegan cream cheese and coconut cream in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth.
STEP 3: Remove from the mixer and fold in the whipped cream with a spatula until it's a uniform color.
STEP 4: Spread the mint pie filling into your Oreo pie crust and freeze overnight.
That's it! This pie takes less than 10 minutes to make from start to finish and the hardest part is waiting for it to chill. Seriously, I have no patience, but the wait is definitely worth it!
Once the pie is done freezing, top with extra whipped cream and chocolate shavings, then serve.
This pie already tastes just like mint chocolate chip ice cream. But if you want to add extra chocolate chips, it will be awesome! I’d suggest using the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life.
Grasshopper pie is comprised of liquer (Creme de Menthe) combined with heavy cream and melted marshmallows. It’s not exactly friendly to dairy free people, vegans or children. This pie has all the flavor with none of the offending ingredients.
If you want to make an alcoholic version, simply omit the coconut cream and mint extract and replace with an equal amount of Creme de Menthe. It is both gluten free and dairy free. Because the pie is no bake, it will still have alcohol present, so may not be suitable for children.
More mint recipes to consider:
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Icebox Chocolate Mint Pie (VG + GF)
- 1 Gluten Free Oreo Pie Crust
- 4 ounces Vegan Cream Cheese I used Miyokos Brand, substitute with block cream cheese
- ¼ Cup Coconut Cream from a can, substitute with heavy cream
- ½ Cup Powdered Sugar sifted
- ¾ teaspoon Mint Extract
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 drops Green Gel Food Coloring
- 9 ounces Coconut Whipped Cream substitute with cool whip
- Add the vegan cream cheese and coconut cream to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed 2-3 minutes until smooth.4 ounces Vegan Cream Cheese, ¼ Cup Coconut Cream
- Add the powdered sugar, mint & vanilla extract and green food coloring to the cream cheese. Beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are incorporated, then turn the mixer to high speed and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.½ Cup Powdered Sugar, ¾ teaspoon Mint Extract, ½ teaspoon Vanilla, 3 drops Green Gel Food Coloring
- Remove the bowl from your mixer and add the whipped cream. Gently fold it in with a spatula until the color is even.9 ounces Coconut Whipped Cream
- Pour the pie filling into your prepared pie crust and freeze overnight.1 Gluten Free Oreo Pie Crust
- Once pie is completely frozen, top with additional whipped cream, chocolate curls, or crushed oreo cookies.
- Let pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- See substitutions above to make this recipe with dairy products if you're not dairy free.
- To make this pie alcoholic, omit the coconut cream and mint extract from the filling. Replace the coconut cream with ¼ cup of Creme de Menthe liquer.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.