There aren’t enough adjective to describe how delicious these cookies are. If you like chocolate chip cookies with chewy edges and soft centers, this is the recipe for you. This gluten free and dairy free small batch chocolate chip cookie recipe makes 5 bakery sized cookies. Perfect for when you just want a little something sweet without the temptation of dozens of cookies in the house.
Why You'll Love This Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- It’s quick to make! Doesn’t require any chill time.
- Makes on 5, large sized cookies.
- Chewy on the edges and soft in the centers. Plus the texture stays perfect for days.
- They are gluten free and dairy free.
- Gluten Free Flour – I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 flour in this recipe. You can use your favorite blend, but the results may vary. For best results, weigh your flour.
- Baking Powder – Just a little bit of leavening to help keep the cookies a little thick.
- Salt – Balances the sweet flavor of the cookies.
- Egg Yolk – Just one egg yolk is all you need to hold the dough together.
- Light Brown Sugar – Provides moisture to keep the cookie soft and a little bit of a caramel flavor that we all love in chocolate chip cookies.
- White Sugar – Helps the cookies spread and gives a nice chewy edge.
- Vegan Butter – I use either Miyokos Vegan Butter or Country Crock Plant Butter in all of my recipes. If you’re not dairy free, you can replace with regular butter.
- Vanilla – Enhances the flavor of the cookie.
- Allergen Free Chocolate Chips
How to Make a Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Step 1 – Cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a medium sized bowl. Because of the small amount of ingredients, I usually use a handheld mixer for this recipe.
Step 2 – Add in the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Step 3 – Add the flour, salt and baking powder to your batter. Mix on low speed until just combined.
Step 4 – Add in the chocolate chips. You can mix on low speed or fold in with a spatula.
Step 5 – Divide your dough into 5 large balls and place on a lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly so they resemble hockey pucks. Sprinkle the tops with a few extra chocolate chips to give them a bakery look.
Step 6 – Bake
How to Store These Cookies
This recipe only makes 5 cookies, but they are large. If you have some leftover, simple store in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay good for about 3-4 days. You can always refresh them by microwaving for about 10 seconds prior to serving.
If you love small batch baking, check out these great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Small Batch Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ C + 3 Tbsp Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend (102 g) I use Bob's Red Mill
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ C Vegan Butter still cold and cut into cubes
- ¼ C Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- ½ C Allergen Free Chocolate Chips plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth. I usually use a handheld mixer due to the small volume of ingredients.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat about 30 seconds more.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix on the lowest setting until just combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and mix together on the lowest setting or fold in with a spatula.
- Divide dough into 5 large balls, about 1/4 cup in size. Place on your baking sheet leaving 3 inches of space in between. Slightly flatten the dough balls so they resemble hockey pucks. Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top to make them extra special.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are just set. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.