When I was growing up my mom made a lot of casseroles and hamburger helper. Since I was never a big fan of pasta, potato stroganoff was always my favorite hamburger helper variety. It's been many years since I've bought a box of hamburger helper but I like quick convenient dinners too, so I thought I'd make a healthy homemade copycat of the original and this gluten free hamburger helper is just perfect!
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we will send it straight to your inbox!
You will also be added to our weekly email list.
Why you'll love this gluten free hamburger helper
Unlike the original boxed meal, this recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, corn free and sugar free. Why do all of those things need to be added to a beef and potatoes dish? This healthier version tastes just like the original, uses only one pan, and takes just 30 minutes to make!
If you've ever bought the original potato stroganoff hamburger helper, you know it comes with a box of dehydrated potatoes and a packet of seasoning. That seasoning is where all the undesirable ingredients are hiding - so the combination of the ingredients below will replace the seasoning packet with healthier, clean ingredients.
- Ground Beef
- Dehydrated Potato Slices - I buy a big can from Amazon, which is enough to make 3 batches of this recipe. They are certified gluten free. this is the key ingredient in this quick recipe. You could probably make it with freshly sliced potatoes, but I wanted to make it as true to the box version as possible.
- Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Parsley
- Salt & Pepper
- Tapioca Starch (or cornstarch if you're not corn free)
- Non-Dairy Milk - I use unsweetened coconut milk in my cooking. You can use any non-dairy milk that you prefer. If you're not dairy free, use regular milk in the same measure.
- Hot Water
See recipe card for ingredient list with quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Ground Beef - Replace beef with ground turkey for a lower fat alternative. You will need to add 2 Tablespoons of oil with the liquid to keep the potatoes from sticking.
- Vegan Option - Use vegan crumbles in place of the beef. Cook the crumbles according to the package directions, then proceed with the recipe as instructed here.
- Beef Broth - Replace the water with warm beef broth for extra rich flavor.
- Not Dairy Free - use dairy milk in the same measure.
- No Tapioca Starch - replace with cornstarch in the same measure.
Making homemade hamburger helper is quick and easy and doesn't require any special equipment.
STEP 1: Cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Drain the fat.
STEP 2: Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pan with the meat. Stir together and cover. Cook over medium low for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Hint: You may be tempted to stir the dish while it's cooking, but resist. Stirring will cause the potato slices to break.
Store any leftover hamburger helper in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving. If the potatoes are a little dry add a tablespoon of water when reheating.
What to Serve With Hamburger Helper
I like to serve this dish with peas or green beans. You could even mix them into the potatoes if you want.
It would also be great served with a salad!
I use a large non-stick skillet with a lid. Non stick is important, because in a regular pan the potatoes will tend to burn to the bottom during the cooking stage. The lid is crucial to simmering the potatoes.
In this recipe, I call for non-dairy milk. You can use any non-dairy milk you'd like.
In a pinch, I'd suggest using extra water in place of the milk and stirring in a little sour cream after the potatoes are cooked to get that creamy stroganoff texture.
Sure! You can easily make a vegan hamburger helper using vegan crumbles. Or if you want to leave out the meat substitutes, mushrooms would make a great addition to the recipe.
More dinner ideas to try:
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
(Copycat) Gluten Free Hamburger Helper Potato Stroganoff
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 5 ounce Dehydrated Potato Slices
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons Tapioca Starch sub with cornstarch
- 1 ½ Cup Hot Water
- 2 Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- Add the ground beef to a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking the meat into chunks, until browned. Drain the fat.1 pound Ground Beef
- Add the potatoes, seasoning, starch, water and milk to the skillet. Stir together.5 ounce Dehydrated Potato Slices, 1 teaspoon Onion Powder, ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper, ¼ teaspoon Dried Parsley, 2 Tablespoons Tapioca Starch, 1 ½ Cup Hot Water, 2 Cups Non-Dairy Milk
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Stir and serve immediately.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.