Originally published September 27, 2018, updated July 4, 2022
Sometimes you want to experiment and other times you would just like a more traditional recipe. Well, these gluten free dairy free brownies fit the bill. They are everything you love about a classic brownie: loaded with fudgy chocolate and walnuts. Plus they have the shiny crackly top just like box brownies. You’ll love making these brownies from scratch and no one will ever guess they’re gluten free!
Why You’ll Love This Gluten Free Brownie Recipe
- It is absolutely loaded with chocolate: melted chocolate, cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- It doesn’t require a mixer and it’s all made in one bowl.
- It is gluten free and dairy free!
- It can easily be made nut free if needed.
- Dark Chocolate - I like to use Scharffenberger 62% chocolate bars for baking. You can also use regular baker’s chocolate. Just check the ingredients to ensure it’s gluten free and dairy free (if needed).
- Vegan Butter - I use Country Crock Plant butter in this recipe. Another vegan butter or coconut oil will work fine, just avoid margarine. If you’re not dairy free, regular butter can be substituted in the same measure.
- Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend - I use Bob’s Red Mill brand for all of my baking. You can use another brand, but be sure that it includes xanthan gum or you will need to add it.
- Light Brown Sugar and White Sugar - We’re using a combination of two sugars for flavor and moistness.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - Ensure you’re using a gluten free cocoa powder. I like Hershey’s brand, which is available at most stores.
- Salt & Vanilla - To add complexity to the flavor.
- Eggs - Used to provide structure and moistness to the brownies.
- Allergen Free Chocolate Chips - I use the Enjoy Life Brand.
- Walnuts - Feel free to substitute with another type of nut if you prefer.
How to Make Gluten Free Brownies from Scratch
- Step 1: Melt the dark chocolate and butter together. Set aside to cool for a few minutes before using.
- Step 2: Combine the melted chocolate and sugars in a large bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Step 3: Add the eggs and vanilla. Whisk for 45-60 seconds. It will seem like a long time to whisk, but this will help to create the shiny top on the finished brownies.
- Step 4: Add the cocoa powder, gluten free flour and salt. Fold together with a spatula until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Step 5: Add the walnuts and chocolate chips. Fold in until evenly distributed.
- Step 6: Spread the brownie batter into your prepared pan and bake!
How to Store These Brownies
If you’re planning to eat the brownies within a few days, just store them in an airtight container at room temperature. They should stay fresh for 3 days.
You can also freeze individual brownies for a quick treat when your chocolate craving hits. Individually wrap each brownie in plastic wrap and place them inside a freezer bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature or reheat in the microwave before serving.
In this recipe, I have used a standard metal 9×9 pan. If you want thicker brownies, you can use an 8×8 pan instead. Just ensure the pan height is at least 2 inches to avoid batter overflowing.
If you want to get creative, try making your brownies in a mini muffin tin for individual serving sizes.
Yes! If you’d rather have something like m&ms, dried fruit, marshmallows or anything else just add it in the same volume as the chocolate chips & walnuts.
To be honest, they taste just like brownies made with wheat flour. If you make this recipe, no one will even guess they are gluten free.
If you love brownies, check out these other great recipes:
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and comment below or tag me on instagram at Wellfedbaker
Gluten Free Dairy Free Brownies
- 4 ounces Dark Chocolate chopped
- ½ Cup Vegan Butter
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- ¾ C + 2 Tbsp Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend I use Bob’s Red Mill
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Allergen Free Chocolate Chips divided
- 1 Cup Walnuts roughly chopped & divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chopped dark chocolate and vegan butter on 50% power for about 2 minutes. Stir to completely melt into a smooth chocolate. Set aside to cool while you gather the remaining ingredients.4 ounces Dark Chocolate, ½ Cup Vegan Butter
- Pour the melted chocolate into a large bowl. Add white and brown sugar. Whisk together until combined.¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar, ¾ Cup Sugar
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the chocolate mixture. Whisk vigorously for 1 minute. It will seem like a lot of whisking, but this step is crucial to get the shiny top on the finished brownies.3 Eggs, 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt to the chocolate mixture. Fold together with a spatula until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.¾ C + 2 tablespoon Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend, ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Add most of the chocolate chips and walnuts to the batter. Reserving a small amount to sprinkle on top of the brownies. Fold together until evenly mixed.½ Cup Allergen Free Chocolate Chips, 1 Cup Walnuts
- Spread the brownie batter into your prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips and nuts on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting, about 2 hours.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.