Originally published April 15, 2019. Updated January 23, 2022.
I love muffins for breakfast and lemon poppyseed muffins have always been one of my favorite. I used to visit a bakery near my house almost every morning to get one of their oversized lemon poppyseed muffins topped with crunchy sugar. Yum! These muffins are a pletty close copy of those delicious bakery muffins, made both gluten free and dairy free. Hope you love them as much as I do!
Why You'll Love This Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Recipe
- It's easy to make and doesn't require a mixer.
- The lemon flavor is light and sweet. Perfect to brighten your morning.
- They are gluten free and dairy free.
What Are Lemon Poppyseed Muffins Made Of?
- Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend - I use Bob's Red Mill brand. You can use your favorite blend, but the results may vary.
- Baking Powder
- Oil - I use olive oil, but any light flavored cooking oil will work.
- Non-dairy milk - I use either coconut milk or oat milk, but any non-dairy milk or regular milk will work in the same measure.
- Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice - one lemon will provide enough zest and juice for this recipe.
How to Make Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
With all of my muffin recipes, I always use the muffin method for mixing.
- Step 1 - Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, poppyseeds and lemon zest in a large bowl. Whisk together to mix.
- Step 2 - Crack your egg into a second smaller bowl. Whisk the egg until frothy, like soap bubbles.
- Step 3 - Add the milk, oil and lemon juice to the egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Step 4 - Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a spatula, about 10-15 strokes.
- Step 5 - Divide the batter into 6 muffins cups.
- Step 6 - Bake
How to Store & Reheat Muffins
Store your leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To reheat, place one muffin the microwave for about 15 seconds.
You can also freeze these muffins to eat later. To enjoy, simply defrost overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat in the microwave until warm.
If you love lemon flavor, check out these great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 1 Cup +3 tablespoon Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Poppyseeds
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 6 Tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Coarse Sugar optional for the tops
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line a muffin tin with 6 paper cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, poppyseeds, sugar and lemon zest. Whisk together to mix. Set aside.
- In a second smaller bowl, crack your egg. Whisk the egg until it's frothy, like soap bubbles.
- Add the oil, milk and lemon juice to the egg. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold together with a spatula about 10-15 strokes.
- Divide the batter into the 6 muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 26-28 minutes until tops spring back when gently poked.
- Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then serve.