I made everything from scratch for this recipe - sweetened condensed milk, nut butter and jam. But store bought will work just as well. As far as dairy free condensed milk, I have only found coconut milk condensed milk. In this recipe, I didn’t want to have a strong coconut flavor and I’ve found the best way to avoid it is to mix more than one kind of dairy free milk. In this case I made my condensed milk with oat milk. The directions are below. It’s easy to make if you have patience.
Dairy Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 C Dairy Free Milk (your choice, I used Oat Milk)
- ⅔ C Sugar
Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir occasionally until it starts to bubble. Stop stirring. Let it simmer for 45 minutes - DO NOT STIR THE WHOLE TIME. After 45 minutes, the liquid should be reduced by half. Carefully skim the foam off the top with a spoon. Do not stir. Pour into a small jar. Cool before using in ice cream. Store in refrigerator if not using immediately.
Note: I used a mixture of sunflower seed and cashew butter to make a peanut butter flavor, because we are peanut free. You can definitely substitute any other nut butter, including peanut butter in this recipe.
Vegan Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream
- 8 ounces Dairy Free Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 13.5 ounces can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- ⅓ Cup Cashew Butter
- ⅓ Cup Sunflower Seed Butter
- 1 Cup Strawberry Jam
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on high speed for 10 minutes, until smooth and has increased in volume a little. Add in the nut butter and whisk on high for 5 more minutes. Remove from stand. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare ice cream according to your ice cream machine recommendations.
- Remove from the ice cream churn and gently fold in the jam, taking care to leave streaks of jam. Pour into a lined 9x5 loaf pan. Eat immediately as soft serve or freeze overnight for scoops.