Is there anything more universally pleasing than a sugar cookie? I mean there are no nuts, no raisins, no chocolate, no anything for people to complain about. The pure simplicity of sugar, flour, butter and eggs. If you love sugar cookies but hate the work of rolling out the dough and cutting out shapes, this easy gluten free sugar cookie recipe is for you.
Why You'll Love This Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
- It's gluten free, dairy free and nut free (depending on what type of vegan butter you use)
- It can be customized with food coloring, any kind of sprinkles, rolled in colored sugar, covered with frosting or just left plain - very versatile.
- It doesn't require cookie cutters or rolling pins, just scoop and bake.
- Gluten Free Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Flour Blend for this recipe. You can substitute with another gluten free flour blend but may not get the same results. As always, I recommend weighing your flour if you plan to use another blend since all gluten free flour is not equal.
- Butter - I use either Miyoko's Vegan Butter or Country Crock Plant Butter. I do not recommend substituting for margarine.
- Baking Powder
- Sprinkles of your choosing
How to Make a Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Step 1: Cream together your butter and sugar.
Step 2: Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Step 3: Add all of the dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
Step 4: Add sprinkles, if you're using them.
Step 5: Scoop into balls and place onto baking sheets.
Step 6: Bake!
Best Way to Store Sugar Cookies
These gluten free & dairy free sugar cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and will stay fresh about 3 days.
If you love sugar cookies, check out these great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Easy Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- 3 ½ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend (518g) I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter I use Miyoko's or Country Crock Plant Butter
- 2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ⅓ Cup Gluten Free Sprinkles optional
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each addition. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to the lowest setting. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until all of the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Add ⅓ cup of sprinkles to your dough if using. Fold in by hand taking care not to over mix as it will cause the sprinkle colors to bleed later.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into balls about the size of a ping pong ball and place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between. Flatten the balls slightly, so they are thick discs and if you desire sprinkle the tops with more sprinkles.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until edges are just set. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.