In less than an hour, your family could be enjoying this old fashioned chicken and rice soup. It’s easy to make and instantly comforting, plus it's gluten free & dairy free. It's the perfect meal for a cool fall or winter night.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we will send it straight to your inbox!
You will also be added to our weekly email list.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It’s naturally dairy free and gluten free (with gluten free chicken broth).
- It’s easy to make with precooked chicken (even rotisserie chicken will work).
- It takes less than an hour to make from scratch, so it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- It’s made with just a few simple ingredients, none of the strange additives found in canned soup.
- Olive Oil
- Gluten Free Flour Blend - If you’re not gluten free, you can use regular all purpose flour in the same measure.
- Gluten Free Chicken Stock - This is an ingredient that commonly has hidden gluten. So watch for gluten free labeling. If you’re not gluten free, any chicken stock will work fine.
- Precooked Chicken
Substitutions & Variations
- Not gluten free - use all purpose flour in place of gluten free flour.
- Make it Vegan - Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. Replace cooked chicken with vegan chicken pieces (I like Quorn brand).
How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup
STEP 1: Saute the onions, carrots and celery in olive oil until softened.
STEP 2: Add the flour, herbs and salt. Stir to coat and cook for 1 minute.
STEP 3: Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
STEP 4: Add the rice and chicken to the broth. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until the rice is tender. Serve immediately.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The rice will continue to absorb the chicken broth as it sits, so leftover soup will be thicker with less broth, but still delicious. Reheat individual servings in the microwave until the temperature reaches 165 degrees. (about 2-3 minutes on high power)
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the rice will cook right in the chicken broth. It’s a one pot dinner filled with great chicken and vegetable flavor.
I used long grain white rice. That’s what I use most often. You can also use brown rice or even wild rice, just adjust the cooking time to ensure your rice is fully cooked.
If you love soup, check out these other great gluten free soup recipes!
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Gluten Free Chicken and Rice Soup
- 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Onion diced
- 1 Cup Carrots sliced in ¼" thick coins
- ¼ Cup Celery sliced ¼" thick
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Tablespoon Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend
- ½ teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 Cup Gluten Free Chicken Stock
- ¾ Cup White Rice
- 2 Cup Chicken precooked and cut into bite sized pieces
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the olive oil and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking or burning.½ Cup Onion, 1 Cup Carrots, ¼ Cup Celery
- Add the garlic, herbs, salt, pepper and flour to the pan. Stir to coat the vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes.2 cloves Garlic, 2 Tablespoon Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend, ½ teaspoon Rosemary, 1 teaspoon Thyme, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Add the chicken stock. Stir well. Cover and bring to a simmer.6 Cup Gluten Free Chicken Stock
- Once simmering, add the rice and cooked chicken. Cook until rice is done, about 20 minutes.¾ Cup White Rice, 2 Cup Chicken
- Serve immediately. Rice will continue to absorb the liquid after cooking.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.