Strawberry season is here and last week we got our first gallon of local berries for this year. The first thing I am baking is this amazingly moist gluten free strawberry crumb cake. It's a buttery, vanilla cake filled with fresh strawberries and topped with an awesome crunchy streusel topping. This would be a perfect treat to enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea on a Spring morning.
We absolutely love strawberry season at our house. If you do too, then you'll also want to try these strawberry waffles or my famous gluten free strawberry cake.
Why you will love this recipe
- It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare.
- It's so buttery and not too sweet. Perfect to go with coffee.
- It's gluten free and dairy free.
It looks like a lot of ingredients, but the cake is pretty simple. Half of the ingredients shown are for the crumb topping & icing.
For the cake:
- Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend - I use Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour for my recipes. You can substitute your favorite brand, just make sure it has xanthan gum included. Not all gluten free flours weigh the same, so make sure you're using 222 grams of whichever blend you choose.
- Vegan Butter - I always use either Miyokos Plant Butter or Country Crock Plant Butter. You can use another brand, but make sure you're using stick butter and not margarine. If you're not dairy free, simple use dairy butter in the same quantity.
- Eggs - Large size, fresh eggs are the protein that bind everything together and allow the cake to hold the rise. I have not tried this recipe with egg replacer, if you do please comment below and let us know how it turns out.
- Vegan Sour Cream - I like either Forager brand or Follow Your Heart brand for dairy free sour cream. If you're not dairy free, use regular sour cream in the same measure.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda - Provide the air bubbles to make the cake light and fluffy.
- Vanilla, Salt & Cinnamon - providing all the flavors to balance the sweet strawberries.
- Strawberries - You need to use fresh strawberries for this recipe. Frozen berries will release too much moisture and make the cake soggy.
For the crumb topping you will need: Gluten free 1-to1- flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt and vegan butter. The icing is made of powdered sugar and non-dairy milk.
See recipe card for full ingredient list with quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Not Dairy Free - use dairy butter, milk and sour cream in the same measure.
- No strawberries - Use fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries in the same measure. Or you can replace the strawberries with 1 cup of strawberry jam.
- No 9x9 pan - Use a 9-inch springform pan or an 8x8 pan instead. The bars will be a little thicker and may take 5 minutes longer to cook.
Start by preparing the crumble topping as it needs to chill before being added to the cake.
STEP 1: Combine gluten free flour, sugar, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl. Mix well.
STEP 2: Use a fork to cut in the butter until it is crumbly.
STEP 3: Place the crumble topping in the refrigerator while you make the cake.
STEP 4: Hull and slice all of the fresh strawberries and set aside.
Next, prepare the cake batter:
STEP 1: Combine the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
STEP 2: Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for about 60 seconds or until smooth. Scrape down the bowl.
STEP 3: Add the sugar to the creamed butter and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
STEP 4: Add the vanilla and mix until it's just incorporated.
STEP 5: Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each addition. Scrape down the mixing bowl.
STEP 6: With the mixer on the lowest speed, add half of the flour followed by half of the sour cream. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Mix only until just combined.
Assembling the cake:
STEP 1: Spread the cake batter into a lined baking pan.
STEP 2: Add sliced strawberries on top of the cake batter in an even layer.
STEP 3: Sprinkle the crumb topping over the strawberries and bake.
STEP 4: Once the cake has baked and cooled, top with the icing drizzle.
Cake will typically have frosting and be pretty sweet. A crumb cake is less sweet and has a crumb topping.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
No, you need to use fresh strawberries. Frozen berries will release too much moisture causing the cake to become soggy. If you don't have fresh strawberries, you can substitute fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries or replace the fruit with 1 cup of strawberry jam.
More coffee cakes to consider:
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Strawberry Crumb Cake
For the crumb topping
- ⅔ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend
- 2 Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter
For the cake
- 1 ½ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Vegan Butter room temperature
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Cup Vegan Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Strawberries hulled and sliced (about 1 pint)
For the icing
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar sifted
- 2 Tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
For the crumb topping
- Combine the gluten free flour, sugar, brown sugar and salt in a small bowl.⅔ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend, 2 Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar, 2 Tablespoon Sugar, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with a fork or your fingers. It should resemble a coarse crumbly mixture that sticks together when pressed between your fingers.¼ Cup Vegan Butter
- Place the crumb topping in the refrigerator while you prepare the cake.
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ C flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk until combined and set aside.1 ½ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed for 1 minutes until soft and smooth. Scrape down bowl.½ Cup Vegan Butter
- Add the sugar and beat again on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.⅔ Cup Sugar
- Add the vanilla.2 teaspoon Vanilla
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating about 30 seconds between each addition. Scrape down the bowl.2 Eggs
- Turn your mixer to the lowest setting. Add half of the flour mixture, followed by half of the sour cream. Repeat with remaining flour and sour cream. Stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.½ Cup Vegan Sour Cream
- Spread the batter into an even layer in your baking pan.
- Lay the sliced strawberries over the cake batter.2 Cups Strawberries
- Sprinkle the cake with the crumb topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until center springs back when gently poked. Cool completely before icing.
For the icing
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over the cake after it has cooled.1 Cup Powdered Sugar, 2 Tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.
My daughter wanted a strawberry coffee cake for her birthday cake and I made your recipe. It is so good! I will be sharing your recipe with my family and friends on facebook. I have many gluten free family members so they are really gonna love this recipe! Thank you for sharing it!
I am so glad to hear this! I love that your daughter got her birthday cake wish. 🙂