Originally posted June 25, 2018. Updated January 1, 2022.
These delicious muffins are inspired by my son's favorite "healthy" treat from our local farmers' market. A combination of carrots, apple and coconut plus spices and a hint of maple, make this the perfect muffin for breakfast or snack time.
Why You'll Love This Apple Carrot Muffin Recipe
- It's gluten free and dairy free.
- It's easy to make, no mixer required.
- It has fruits and vegetables and even a picky kid will love it.
While this muffin recipe has a few more ingredients than my normal posts, it is still super easy to make.
- Gluten Free Oat Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill brand. You can also grind your own by placing gluten free oats in your food processor and processing about 10 seconds until it is a coarse powder.
- Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend - Again, I use Bob's Red Mill brand. You can use your own blend, but results may vary. Weighing your flour will provide the best results.
- Baking Powder
- Sugar - You can also substitute coconut sugar if you prefer.
- Oil - I use a light flavor olive oil in this recipe. You can use your preferred light flavored cooking oil or melted coconut oil.
- Maple Syrup
- Non-Dairy Milk
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Shredded Coconut
How to Make a Apple Carrot Muffins
- Step 1 - Combine all the dry ingredients (oat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice) in a large bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- Step 2 - Crack the egg in the small bowl and whisk until frothy, like soap bubbles.
- Step 3 - Add the oil, vanilla, maple syrup, milk and applesauce to the egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Step 4 - Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a spatula about 10 strokes.
- Step 5 - Add the grated carrots and the coconut to the mixture and fold another 5 times.
- Step 6 - Divide into 6 lined muffin cups. Sprinkle with gluten free oats (optional). Let sit while your oven preheats.
- Step 7 - Bake!
How to Store & Reheat Gluten Free Apple Carrot Muffins
Store leftover muffins in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat by microwaving a single muffin for about 15 seconds or until warm to the touch.
If you love baking with carrots, check out these great recipes!
To pin this recipe for later, click the save button on any image in this post or the recipe card. Please tag me @wellfedbaker on Instagram if you make this recipe!
Gluten Free Apple Carrot Muffins
- ½ Cup Gluten Free Oat Flour
- ¾ Cup Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend (111 g)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Allspice
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Non-Dairy Milk
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ Cup Grated Carrots
- 3 Tablespoon Shredded Coconut
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flour, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and sugar. Whisk together until well combined.
- Crack the egg into a second smaller bowl. Whisk until frothy, like soap bubbles.
- Add the oil, vanilla, maple syrup, milk and applesauce to the egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a spatula about 10 strokes.
- Add the carrots and coconut to the mixture and fold together about 5 more times.
- Divide the batter into 6 lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with oats (for decoration) if you wish.
- Let batter rest in muffin pan while you preheat your oven to 400F.
- Bake the muffins in preheated oven for 27-29 minutes, until tops spring back when gently poked.
- Remove from cooked muffins from muffin tin within 10 minutes to avoid wet bottoms. Serve immediately or store for later.