If you're gluten free and/or dairy free, you know it can sometimes be hard to find good products to replace the things you love. The good news is, it is so easy to make a homemade gluten free graham cracker crust that is can be used for a cheesecake or pie, you'll never need another store bought crust again.
It is worth noting that this recipe can be used for any cookie or cracker that doesn't contain a filling. So vanilla wafers, pretzels, saltine crackers, gingersnaps - go wild! This recipe goes great with my no bake peanut butter pie and my no bake blueberry cheesecake.
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers - I have made this recipe with both Schar brand graham crackers and Kinnikinnick graham crackers. I haven't tried any other brands of gluten free graham crackers, but I'm sure your favorite brand will work just fine.
- Vegan Butter - I used Country Crock Plant Butter for this recipe. If you're not dairy free, use regular butter in the same measure.
- Sugar - The sugar is crucial because it is what holds the crumbs together.
See recipe card for quantities.
Substitutions & Variations
- Substitute any brand of gluten free graham crackers in the same measure. You will need approximately 8 ounces of graham crackers to produce 2 cups of crumbs.
- Substitute another type of cookie or cracker that doesn't have icing or filling - gingersnaps, shortbread cookies, vanilla wafers, ritz style crackers, saltines, pretzels.
- If you're not dairy free, feel free to use dairy butter in this recipe in the same measure.
- Substitute melted coconut oil for the melted butter.
STEP 1: Place your gluten free graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until they resemble coarse crumbs.
STEP 2: Combine the graham cracker crumbs with all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Mix the ingredients together until they are thoroughly combined and resemble wet sand.
STEP 4: Spread the graham cracker crumb mixture into your pie pan and press into an even layer using the bottom of a measuring cup.
If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers inside a large ziploc bag. Seal the bag and then smash the crackers using a rolling pin or heavy pan.
Make this recipe ahead of time and freeze. Wrap the cooled crust in several layers of plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before filling.
Baking a graham cracker crust melts the sugars and helps everything stick together. But, you don't always have to bake your crust. In the case of a no bake pie, you can just press the crust together tightly and place it in the freezer until you're ready to fill it.
Baking the pie crust for about 10 minutes will melt the sugars and help everything stick together.
Most likely you have pressed the crumbs together too tightly. If you're baking the crust, you want to press them down until they are just stuck together in an even layer. If you compact the crumbs too much they will form a hard crust after baking.
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crumbs about 8 ounce of crackers
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan Butter melted
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add gluten free graham crackers to a food process and pulse until they resemble coarse sand.2 Cups Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crumbs
- Pour the cracker crumbs into a large bowl.
- Add the melted butter, sugar and salt to the cracker crumbs and stir until they are well combined.6 Tablespoons Vegan Butter, ¼ Cup Sugar, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Pour the crumb mixture into your pie plate. Spread it around and use a flat bottomed surface (measuring cup or glass) to press the crumbs into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 9-10 minutes. Cool before filling.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.