Pears are one of my favorite fruits for fall. I usually eat them sliced with some nuts or granola. It's my go-to fall breakfast. So when I was looking at the pear display at the store, I thought to myself I wonder how those would taste with apples in a pie and voila, this apple pear pie recipe was born. Pair this filling with my perfect gluten free pie crust for a delicious dessert to add to your table this holiday season!
Is there any fruit that can't be combined with an apple pie? That's the journey I'm on friends. If you think apple pear pie sounds amazing (spoiler alert, it is), then you might also want to take a look at my apple cranberry pie, apple strawberry pie or my absolute favorite, apple cherry pie.
- Apples - the co-star of this pie. I like to use a few different varieties to give a more unique flavor. If you want to stick to one type of apple, I'd go with granny smith, which holds up well to baking.
- Pears - again, I used a variety of pears. Ensure they are ripe but not overly so. You don't want them to be too soft for slicing.
- Apple Pie spice
- Lemon Juice
- Brown Sugar - Light or dark brown sugar will work well in this recipe.
- Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten free flour blend to make this recipe gluten free. If you're not gluten free, regular all purpose flour will work in the same measure.
See recipe card for quantities.
Cut your fruit thin so it will cook through while baking. I try to slice my apples and pears just over ⅛ inch thick. It will seem like you have too many fruit slices to fit in the pie, but they will settle during baking so make sure to tuck them all in.
This pie filling is very easy to make. No special equipment is required.
STEP 1: Slice the fruit and combine it with all of the other ingredients in a large bowl.
STEP 2: Place coated fruit slices into your pie shell. Stuff them all into the nooks and crannies.
STEP 3: Top the pie with a lattice top, full top or use a crumble topping if you prefer. Then bake!
How to make a lattice pie top
To make the pie show above, you will need a double batch of pie dough. To get the lattice top design I've done is quite easy.
- Simply roll out half of your pie dough to the size of your pie plate.
- Cut the dough into strips about 1 inch wide.
- The lay them across the top in a random pattern, lifting some strips to go underneath.
- Use an egg wash to stick the edges together and cut off any overhang.
This pie can be stored at room temperature for a few days, but I prefer to keep it in the refrigerator, where it should last up to a week. Wrap it with aluminum foil and remove slices as needed.
This pie can be made ahead of time and frozen, which makes it great for busy holiday cooking. Bake and cool the pie completely, then wrap the pie and pie plate in several layers of plastic wrap. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and serving.
Reheat the entire pie in the original pie plate in the oven. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes until the center is warm. The crust should re-crisp nicely. If you just want to reheat individual slices, you can do that with about 30 seconds in the microwave.
For this recipe, I used a mixture of golden delicious, gala and macintosh apples. If you want to stick to one variety, I suggest Granny Smith since they hold up well to baking.
I used a mixture of red and bartlett pears for this recipe. Just ensure your pears are ripe but not soft, since they will soften considerably while baking.
More apple desserts:
If you try this recipe, please leave a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 star rating and let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Apple Pear Pie
- 2 Sweet Pie Dough Recipe
- 4 Apples sliced to ⅛" thickness
- 3 Pears sliced to ⅛" thickness
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 Eggs for egg wash, optional
- 1 tablespoon Water for egg wash
- Coarse Sugar for topping optional
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Combine the apples, pears, lemon juice, brown sugar, flour, apple pie spice, salt and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir well to coat the fruit.4 Apples, 3 Pears, 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice, ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar, 2 tablespoons Gluten Free 1-to-1 Flour Blend, 1 ¼ teaspoon Apple Pie Spice, ¼ teaspoon Salt, 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Place the fruit slices into your prepared pie crust. Use all of the slices, pack them in tightly. They will settle during baking.2 Sweet Pie Dough Recipe
- Roll out your second half of pie dough to the size of your pie plate. Cut strips measuring about 1 inch wide. Randomly lay them across the top of the pie to create a crazy lattice top. Cut the dough to the edges of the pie pan.
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush egg wash between the lattice pieces and the bottom crust to make them stick together. Then crimp the edge in the design of your choosing.1 Eggs, 1 tablespoon Water
- Brush the top pie crust pieces with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.Coarse Sugar for topping
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven on the bottom rack for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.
Tiffany is the recipe developer, stylist and food photographer behind Well Fed Baker. As a lifelong baker who had to go gluten free and dairy free in 2016, Tiffany strives to share allergen friendly recipes that never feel like they are free from anything.
Leave a Comment