This hot cocoa bar features the creamiest dairy free hot chocolate. It’s filled with melted chocolate, cocoa powder and non-dairy milk. No one will guess it’s a vegan cocoa and it’s 100 times better than those little store bought packets. I’ve been making this for a few years now for holiday gatherings and for a special treat at my office. Everyone raves about it! I know you’ll love it too.
Why You'll Love This Dairy Free Hot Cocoa
- It’s vegan and gluten free.
- It’s creamy and filled with chocolate.
- With the topping bar everyone can pick their own flavor, making it super fun!
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker – directions for both ways are included.
- Cocoa Powder – make sure it’s gluten free. I usually use Hersheys brand or Scharffenberger.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Bars – I typically use 68% dark chocolate bars from Scharffenberger, but I have also just used an assortment of dairy free, gluten free chocolate candy bars that I had in my cabinet. Do not use chocolate chips, since they have stabilizers they won’t melt as nicely.
- Non-Dairy Milk – I usually use Oat Milk, since I find it to be the closest consistency to dairy milk. You can use the milk of your choice.
- Non-Dairy Heavy Cream – Originally I made this recipe with a 15 oz can of full fat coconut milk and it was wonderful. Recently, I’ve started using the Silk non-dairy heavy cream instead. Both will work fine. Use whatever you have access to. If you want to make it extra decadent, use both!
How to Make a Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
If using an Instant Pot
Step 1 – Turn your Instant Pot to saute. Add the chopped chocolate bars, cocoa powder, sugar, water and heavy cream to the Instant Pot. Whisk together until the chocolate is melted.
Step 2 – Add the milk to the melted chocolate. Continue to whisk the mixture frequently until it’s heated through.
Step 3 – Turn your Instant Pot to keep warm and cover. Serve as needed.
If using a slow cooker
Step 1 – Add the milk to a large pot and heat on the stove over medium heat until warm.
Step 2 – Add the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar and heavy cream to the warm milk. Whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
Step 3 – Transfer to a slow cooker and turn to low heat. Keep covered and serve as needed.
Hot Chocolate Bar Topping Ideas
Here are some ideas of items I have used on my hot cocoa bar:
- Gluten Free Candy Canes
- Coco Caramels
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Dairy Free Peppermint Bark
- Coco Whip
- Gluten Free Sprinkles
- Gluten Free Oreos (crushed up)
Best Way to Store Dairy Free Hot Chocolate
Transfer your leftover hot chocolate to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. It will last 3-4 days. To serve, pour into a microwave safe mug and heat for 1-2 minutes, until it reaches your desired temperature.
If you're looking for holiday ideas, check out these great recipes!
Dairy Free Hot Chocolate Bar
- Instant Pot
- Slow Cooker
- 10 oz Dark Chocolate chopped
- ¼ C Cocoa Powder
- ½ C Sugar
- 2 C Non-Dairy Heavy Cream can sub with 1 can full fat coconut milk OR use both for extra creamy!
- ½ C Water
- 1 Gallon Non-Dairy Milk I use 2 cartons of Oat Milk
- In an Instant Pot, combine the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, non-dairy heavy cream and water. Turn the IP to Saute setting and whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add all of the milk to the melted chocolate. Continue to whisk frequently on Saute setting until the milk is heated through. This took 25-30 minutes for me.
- Turn IP to keep warm, put the lid on. Serve as needed.
For Slow Cooker
- Place all of the milk in a large pot on the stove. Heat over medium heat until warm.
- Add the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, and non-dairy heavy cream to the warm milk. (You can omit the water with this method). Whisk together until the chocolate is melted.
- Once your cocoa is warm, transfer to a slow cooker and turn on low heat. Leave the lid on and serve as needed.